"Barrow's Bookworms" is an exciting new reading program for students in Georgia's 12th Congressional District. The program will run from September 1, 2013 until December 31, 2013. During that time, students, with the help of their families, are expected to read 20 books of their own choosing. Parents will keep a log of the books each child reads throughout the program. Each child that completes the 20 book reading requirement will participate in an awards ceremony in the Spring of 2014 where Congressman Barrow will present a certificate for completing the program.
In addition, Congressman Barrow is hosting a bookmark design contest for the “Barrow’s Bookworms.” The contest winner’s bookmark will be distributed to every Barrow’s Bookworms participant in the 12th District. These bookmarks should display a picture depicting the importance of reading from a young person's perspective. The deadline to submit entries into the bookmark design contest is January 31, 2014.
Signed permission slips are to be returned to teachers by Septemer 13, 2013. If your child's school is not participating in the program, signed forms should be returned to Congressman Barrow's Office at 1450 Greene Street, Suite 550, Augusta, GA 30901.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
- September 1, 2013: Students begin reading the assigned 20 books for "Barrow's Bookworms."
- September 13, 2013: Signed permission slips are due to teachers at participating schools.
- September 30, 2013: Schools should return signed permission slips to Congressman Barrow's Augusta District Office at 1450 Greene Street, Suite 550, Augusta, GA 30901. If your child's school is not participating, but you'd like to, your signed permission slip must be returned to Congressman Barrow's Office by this date.
- December 31, 2013: Students must complete the reading of 20 books by this date.
- January 31, 2014: Submission deadline for bookmark design entries.
- February 7, 2014: Completed book log sheets must be returned to Congressman Barrow's office.